Experienced team leader at Google. Stanford graduate. Progressive activist with 3 years campaign experience.
Campaign strategist. Digital communicator. Data wrangler. Team cultivator. Gets things done.
COMMUNICATIONS & DIGITAL STRATEGY DIRECTOR, 2019
Close the Gap California: a statewide campaign to achieve gender balance in the California Legislature by recruiting progressive women to run.
- Created, manage, and analyze the digital communications.
- Own the data strategy, including database selection, data organization and tagging, and acting on the data. Scope includes targeted emails, online ads, social media posts, and fundraising emails.
- Maintain the brand strategy, creating flyers, printed collateral, and email campaigns that correspond with and amplify the brand message.
DIGITAL STRATEGY DIRECTOR, 2018 Primary & General
Alison Cormack for Palo Alto City Council // Dotty Nygard for Tracy City Council // Stacey Ashlund for Palo Alto School Board // Elizabeth Warren for State Assembly
- Owned the data strategy for 3 campaigns, including sourcing the data, purchasing the data, and acting on the data. Targeted emails, online ads, social media posts, and direct mail.
- Ran extensive email fundraising for 3 campaigns, becoming the campaigns’ most successful fundraising channel.
- Managed interns and volunteers.
COMMUNICATIONS & DESIGN, 2017 - Present
Freelance: 20+ Local Candidates // Emerge California // WIRE // Close the Gap
- Designed print and digital ads, mailers, and lawn signs, including messaging, for 2 campaigns.
- Created the iconic Kimberly Ellis “Persist” logo mashup [link].
- Designed and implemented brand identities for 3 campaigns in 2018.
PEOPLE MANAGER & TECHNICAL PROGRAM MANAGER, 2006 - 2017
Google (including Nest // Doubleclick // Google Analytics // Identity // Corporate IT)
- Led cross-functional teams over 10+ years at Google. Attended regular manager education, including diversity awareness and harassment trainings. Advocated for women and POC in tech.
- Successfully delivered numerous multi-million dollar launches as a Technical Program Manager and Design Producer, including leading the Nest.com online marketing site, store, and emails (scale: 100MM+ pageviews, 10MM+ emails, 1MM+ email subscribers).
CIVIL SERVICE & POLITICAL ACTIVISM
- Appointed Palo Alto Planning and Transportation Commissioner in 2018.
- Elected to CADEM Progressive Caucus board as Comms Officer in 2017.
- Elected delegate to the California Democratic Party in 2017. Appointed in 2019.
- Elected pledged delegate for Bernie Sanders, CA CD18 Alternate in 2016.
EMERGE CALIFORNIA, Program Graduate, 2018
STANFORD UNIVERSITY, Master of Liberal Arts (Palo Alto, 2017), Thesis: The Deep Roots of the Wood Maiden: The Evolution of German Folklore’s Holzfräulein.
UNIVERSITY OF REGENSBURG, studied languages (Germany, 2003-2005)
VANDERBILT UNIVERSITY, Bachelor of Science in Classical Studies and Computer Science (Nashville, 1997), magna cum laude
Leadership & Vision
- Digital strategy
- Campaign management
- Program management
- Product management
- Data analysis
- Turf cutting
- Copywriting & messaging
- Communications planning
- Email fundraising
- Contact list management
Applications & Tools
California SoS raw data / PDI / ActionNetwork / NationBuilder
Google SEO / Analytics / Facebook / Instagram / MailChimp / VoterCircle / Newspaper buys
Adobe Illustrator / Lightroom / Photoshop / InDesign
Love to spend time at home with my husband, two elementary-aged children, and three shelter cats. The cats are really into camouflage, as demonstrated above.
I enjoy writing fiction and workshopping it with colleagues. I also love to read science fiction, mysteries, and non-fiction guides to politics, economics, and leadership. I love handwriting and calligraphy. One of my friends wrote a book about cursive and invited me to contribute a page about bullet journals (shown above).
I have traveled to over 20 countries on 4 continents, so far! I look forward to vacations where I can encounter new cultures and challenge my understanding of the world.